When creating an interactive Page or Post, you can choose from a wide range of data input types in order to get the information you need in a useful format. This is especially useful when creating surveys, contests, or forms.
When the Interactive checkbox is selected when building content in the no-code Editor, the Data tab appears:
Clicking on the blue plus (+) adds a new Data Input field. You can select an input type based on the type of information needed:
- Text: used for a single line of text, such as a name or short phrase up to 128 characters.
- Long text: used for a multi-line text box, such as additional information not captured by other questions in the form, up to 16,384 characters.
- Number: used to get a numeric value. You can set a minimum and maximum allowed value to ensure the number entered is within a required range.
- Choose one from a list (Radio button): used to create a series of options where the user chooses one option. The value field can be used to simplify the answer choice to a single helpful text or numeric value.
- Choose many from a list (Checkboxes): used to create a series of options which the user can choose one or more options. You can set a minimum (at least X) or maximum (at most Y) number of options the user must select. The value field can be used to simplify the answer choice to a single helpful text or numeric value.
- Choose one from a dropdown: used to create a series of options where the user chooses one option. This is similar to the Radio button except the user selects from a dropdown list. The value field can be used to simplify the answer choice to a single helpful text or numeric value.
- Choose a number from a slider: used to get a numeric value. This is similar to Number, except the user uses a finger or mouse to move the slider rather than entering a number using a keyboard. A minimum and maximum allowed range can be set here as well.
- Choose a number using buttons: used to get a numeric value. The user clicks on a "-" or "+" button to decrease or increase the number. A minimum and maximum allowed range can be set here as well.
- Email address: used to obtain a properly formatted email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Phone number: used to obtain a phone number. Only the + symbol and numerals are allowed.
- Website: used to obtain a website that starts with http:// or https://
- Yes / No: used to obtain a Boolean value (0 for No, 1 for Yes) from a slider that can be toggled.
- Enter an address: used to obtain an address. The geolocation is suggested as the user starts typing the address:
- Currency amount: used to obtain a monetary value:
- Select a date: used to select a particular calendar day:
- Select a time of day: used to select a time period in a day:
- Select a date and time: used to select a time on a particular day:
- Select a date range with times: used to select a Start date and time, and an End date and time:
- Select a time range: used to select a start and end time:
- Share their location: used to get a geolocation co-ordinates:
- Percentage: used to obtain a percent % by entering a number or using the up and down arrows. By default the minimum and maximum allowed values are 0 and 100 but that can be changed.
Changing data input type
If you need to change a data input type, you can edit the data input and choose a different input type. The Name field will remain the same but all other fields will reset to their default values.
If the user must enter a value for a data input, toggle the Required Field option. The user cannot submit the form until they have entered a value for this data input field.
The end user can input this field: this is a field the end user can enter a value (default expectation).
My team can edit and update this field: Workplace Admins (typically) can edit this value after it has been submitted by a user, usually to correct or update based on changing circumstances.
Advanced mode offers some additional data input types, validation and security features.
- Geo-location Polygon: used to get an area on a map rather than a specific location:
The Validation tab in Advanced Mode is used set properties such as whether this is a Required Field, Minimum and Maximum allowed values for numeric data input fields, as well as making a Required Field When another data input has a certain value:
The Security tab in Advanced Mode allows you to control who can change the values. Typically the end user creates the values when they first submit an interaction. You can further control which teams may Read, Update or Delete the values. This can be useful for data privacy and security purposes.
If you have any questions about data input fields not covered in this article, please contact the Help Desk at email@example.com and we will be happy to help.