What are Insights
Insights is a data visualization tool and reporting engine available to Lane customers in the Admin View.
How do I access Insights?
Insights is available to users who are (a) members of the Workplace Admin team and (b) members of a team who has permissions to view Analytics.
- Create a new Team named “Insights” or “Analytics” with Workplace Admin permission levels
- Enable the following permissions under the Analytics area of Permissions:
- This user can see Analytics about this channel, including the dashboard
- This user can see Insights and Reports about this channel
- Add the users who would benefit from seeing the new reports to this team
🧠 While it is possible to simply add the required permissions to the Workplace Admin team, there are situations where it is easier to manage the permissions for Insights as a single group.
For a user who meets both requirements, a new Insights link appears in the list of Admin Tools:
💡 Insights does not replace the Dashboard, but supplements it with additional, more detailed analytics.
What dashboards are available?
There are two dashboards available under Insights:
Clicking on either dashboard allows you to refine and filter the data shown in the visualizations, download for use in other tools, or schedule reports for delivery by email on a regular basis.
User Activity Dashboard
The User Activity dashboard shows information about the users in a channel.
- How many monthly active members do I have in this property or group of properties?
- How has this changed over time?
- Which days saw the most new member sign ups?
- What are the most popular days of the week?
- Which tenants are driving property activity?
- Members = people who are in the channel in a Workplace Member (end user) role, excluding people who are in an Admin role.
- Users = all of the people in the channel, including Workplace Member and Workplace Admin type roles.
- Last 28 Day Active Members/Users = Monthly active members/users
- Last 7 Day Active Members/Users = Number of members/users active in the last week
- Subscribed Members/Users = Active or signed up in the last 24 months, filters out inactive users
- Total Members/Users = All signed up members from all time.
To view the report, choose from the list of Channels where you are a Workplace Admin. You can refine and filter the data further by company and date range, then click on Update.
The number of Active Members over the last 28 days and the last 7 days. This shows how many people are logging in on a monthly and weekly basis.
The number of Active Members compared to the number of Subscribed Members. A higher number means a high level of engagement by Workplace Members. A lower number means people who subscribed initially have not logged in for at least a month. This may be expected since many people have been working from home during the pandemic.
The number of Active Members over time. The dips in the daily count indicate weekends, which are smoothed out in the weekly and monthly counts.
The number of new members over time. A new property or channel may have an initial bump due to launch activities, followed by a dips and peaks depending on the weekday.
The total number of members over time. This graph should trend upwards indicating a growing channel.
Activity by Day of Week
The average daily Active Members count by day of the week. Weekends have a lower count as is to be expected.
- Why are the monthly reports over 28 days?
Activity on the Lane platform is biased towards weekdays, but it is useful for monthly metrics to have an equal number of weekdays and weekends in it. Otherwise some months will look better than others by virtue of having more or fewer Mondays.
- Why differentiate between Active Members and Subscribed Members?
Some of our properties are very long lived. Users may have signed up over 5 years ago but not been active since. This is a reporting way to separate these historical sign-ups from more relevant recent sign-ups and engaged users. If the number of subscribed users is a low percentage of total sign ups it may indicate the need for a resurrection campaign or simply that those longer users are no longer present in the property.
Content Analytics Dashboard
The Content Analytics Dashboard explores how well content in a channel is reaching members:
- How much content has been created by the admins of this property?
- How many impressions/views/interactions are occurring on this channel?
- What percentage of my content is dedicated to Pages/Posts/Notices/Perks?
- What percentage of my engagement is driven by Pages/Posts/Notices/Perks?
- What is my top content by views?
- What is my top content by interactions?
- Which content categories generate the most traffic?
- What are my most popular days of the week for engagement?
- Impression: a user scrolls past a piece of content.
- Unique impression: a distinct user scrolls past a piece of content on a given day
- View: a user clicks on a piece of content
- Unique View: a user clicks on a piece of content on a given day
- Interaction: a user fills out information and submits a piece of interactive content
- Unique Interaction: a distinct user fills out information and submits a piece of interactive content on a given day
- Click-through-rate: What percentage of users who scrolled past a piece of content clicked on that content and viewed the page or post
- Conversion rate: What percentage of users that clicked on a piece of interactive content submitted a response (survey response, maintenance request, promotion sign up etc.)
To view the report, choose from the list of Channels where you are a Workplace Admin. Optionally refine further by company and date range, whether the content is active (live) or not, and by type of content. Click on Update to run the report.
The dashboard shows the total number of content pieces in the channel, the number of times people who have scrolled past it, viewed it, and interacted with it.
Content Creation Breakdown
Displays the amount of content in the selected channel by type. Clicking on a type updates the rest of the dashboards according to the type of content selected. This filter can be removed by deselecting it at the top of the page.
Content Engagement Breakdown
Displays the type of interactive content that members engage with the most. This view can be filtered as well, which updates the rest of the dashboards to only show details for the type of content selected.
Top Content by Views
The titles of the top viewed pieces of content.
Top Content by Interactions
The titles of the top interactive pieces of content.
Views by Content Category
When members view a content piece, this shows the content category for that content item.
Interactions by Category
When members submit information through interactive content, this shows the top content category that has interactions.
Daily Member Views Total
The number of daily views by members over the selected time period.
Member Views by Weekday
The total number of member views on content by day of the week.
Download & Delivery
The data in these reports can be downloaded in a variety of formats for further analysis or long term storage. Data visualizations (the charts) can only be downloaded in PNG format.
Click on the three vertical dots in the top right hand corner of each report. You can also email the reports a single time or schedule recurring delivery.
If you have any remaining questions about Insights, contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be happy to help!