What are Workflows?
Workflows offer the ability to send messages to specific users or teams based on certain criteria related to an interactive Page or Post.
- Triggering a Workflow
- Messaging Methods
What are the different ways to trigger a Workflow?
Workflows can be triggered by a change in status of an interactive piece of content, or based on the Start or End time.
When an interactive content item is created, updated, or cancelled a workflow can be triggered to notify the people affected.
These actions can be defined further when combined with the interactive feature Statuses.
If the status of an interactive item can change from:
- Created -> Approved
- Created -> Rejected
- Created -> Cancelled
Then different Workflows can be created for each of the different scenarios above. That means a different message can be sent depending whether the interaction is approved, rejected, or cancelled.
A Workflow can send a message before the start or end of an interactive event. This is based on the Start and End time of the Post.
This can be used to remind users of registrations, RSVPs, purchases, and more.
A Workflow can send a message after the start time or end time of an interactive event.
This can be used to thank users for attending the event and sending links to followup surveys, register for similar events, provide documentation related to the event, and more.
What are the different messaging methods?
There are four ways to message users through Workflows:
- Send a Notification sends an in-app notification to the user's mobile app. The user must have Allow Notifications enabled for the Lane app in their iOS or Android mobile device settings.
- Send an Email sends an email to the user's primary and verified email address stored in Lane. Emails are not sent to unverified email addresses, except in cases where Guest Invites is used.
- Send an SMS message sends a text message to the user's phone number stored in Lane.
- Trigger a Webhook sends a message containing the details of the interaction to another platform that can take action on it.
It is possible to send multiple messages in different formats to the same person or team simply by creating another Workflow.
For example, a confirmation of registration and payment may be sent to a user by email as a receipt, as well as an short in-app notification to their mobile device.
By default, users receive a standard system generated message from Workflows detailing the interaction and status change. By clicking on Custom Notification, a custom message can be entered instead, up to 128 characters. This also applies to the SMS message option.
If sending an email, clicking on Email Settings will allow customizing the Email Subject field and two areas (intro and outtro) above and below the standard message and QR Code.
The checkboxes need to be selected in order to edit these fields.
Who are the recipients of Workflows?
The people who receive messages generated from Workflows are:
- A specific team: Select the team who is responsible for acting on the event.
- A specific user: Select a Lane user who is responsible for acting on the event.
- The end user: The person who submitted the interaction. It is good practice to send confirmations whenever the status changes, or to confirm registration or payment.
Workflows are used to:
- Send messages when/before/after...
- ...an interactive content piece is created/updated/cancelled/approved/rejected...
- ...Via an in-app notification, email, text message, or by triggering a webhook,
- ...to a specific team, user, or the person who created the interaction.
If you have any questions about Workflows, contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to help.